Accreditation is a valuable tool for evaluating the quality of child care programs according to professional standards and for strengthening programs. Achieving accreditation shows parents and potential employees that the child care program is committed to high standards of quality and ongoing program improvement.
The following accreditations, certifications, and school districts are recognized in Colorado Shines as an Alternative Pathway to a quality rating:
- National Association For Family Child Care (NAFCC) Accreditation- https://www.nafcc.org/Accreditation
- American Montessori Society (AMS) Accreditation- https://amshq.org/School-Resources/AMS-School-Accreditation
- Association of Christian School International (ASCI) Accreditation- https://www.acsi.org/school-services/accreditation
- National Early Childhood Program Accreditation (NECPA)- https://necpa.net/page/accreditationprocess/
- Council on Accreditation- http://coanet.org/accreditation/
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Accreditation- https://www.naeyc.org/accreditation/early-learning-program-accreditation
- Grantee and Delegate Head Start/Early Head Start Programs- https://www.acf.hhs.gov/ohs
- BVSD and DPS School Districts- http://www.bvsd.org/
Colorado Shines Requirements
As an Alternative Pathway, programs are still required to:
- Maintain a current license in good standing and participate in annual licensing visits
- Report annually on their progress toward meeting objectives in their Quality Improvement Plan (QIP) and establish new goals for the following year
- Enroll all new staff into PDIS within 90 days of their start date and have them complete their Level 2 Trainings
Have a Different Accreditation?
If you have an accreditation or certification that is not currently recognized as an alternative pathway, the accrediting institution can complete an application for QRIS level assignment for School District Programs or Other Accrediting Entities. Accrediting institutions can also visit Colorado Shines (coloradoshines.com) for additional information. If approved, your program can then submit on your QRIS for your Quality Level.