Become a Licensed Family Child Care Home Provider
Is working with young children your calling? Do you like to help parents of young children? Would you like to start a small business and earn an income while staying at home with your own children? Are you ready to make a commitment to provide the high quality childcare that is critical to a child’s growth and development? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then Boulder County’s children and families need you!
Welcoming young children and their parents into your home can be a practical and rewarding option for mothers, grandmothers, ECE professionals or anyone who wants to start their own childcare program. Becoming a licensed provider allows you to maximize your available space to provide for a group of young children. In addition, as a licensed family childcare provider you have access to a full range of training and community supports to help you start and grow your business.
Spring 2023 Orientation to Family Child Care
Please register for an Orientation Session where you will receive information about becoming a licensed Family Child Care Provider. Topics covered in this virtual session will include types of licenses, training requirements and where to obtain training, the application process, business practices, legally exempt child care and more. We will do our best to answer all your questions and get you started on the right foot to open your in-home child care business.
For more information, download our Family Child Care Orientation fliers: English or Spanish
All sessions are free and will be conducted via Zoom from 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm.
Please register here for one of the following sessions:
Thursday, January 12th, 2023
Thursday, February 9th, 2023
Thursday, March 9th, 2023
Thursday, April 13th, 2023
Thursday, May 11th, 2023
Thursday, January 26th, 2023
Thursday, February 23rd, 2023
Thursday, March 23rd, 2023
Thursday, April 27th, 2023
Thursday, May 25th, 2023
The process to become a licensed Family Child Care Home Provider can take several months to complete so start early, at least 3-4 months prior to when you hope to become licensed.
For information about the family child care home (FCCH) licensing process as well as Exempt Family Child Care definitions visit the Office of Early Childhood Website, Child Care Licensing and Administration
- Click on Apply for a License, at the end of the Apply for a Family Child Care Home License paragraph you will see a link to register for a free, one hour Family Child Care Home Pre-Licensing Orientation
- To access a complete list of training requirements for FCCH providers click on the Training tab on the far-left side of the page then click on Training Required for Licensed Child Care Providers
Once you obtain your license the Early Childhood Council of Boulder County (ECCBC) will send you a Welcome Packet with information about local resources and training. You will also be added to the ECCBC Training Calendar mailing list and email list serve.
- Click here to access the current ECCBC Training Calendar
ECCBC will be offering Pre-licensing training in English in October/November 2022 and in Spanish in early 2023. There will be no cost for Boulder County residents. For those who live outside of Boulder County, the cost will be $75.00. Please check back to see the fall dates and to register.
Below are several other organizations that offer Pre-licensing training. The cost range is $65.00 – $75.00
- A Caregiver Network – caregivernetwork.org
- Click on Pre-licensing for a great step-by-step guide to family childcare licensing
- Click on Register for Classes to see upcoming Pre-licensing training
- Training is a hybrid of at-home learning and face-to-face classes
- Child Care Innovations at Red Rocks – cciproviderpost.org
- Create an account to access training information and register for classes
- Training is delivered via Zoom
- Colorado Child Care Consultations – cochildcareconsultations.com
- On the home page scroll down to register for upcoming classes.
- Training is delivered via Zoom
- Wildwood Food Program – wildwoodonline.org
- From the home page click on Store, then click on Required Training
- Training is a Correspondence Course
- The final test requires a test proctor who will be arranged through Wildwood
If you have questions about family childcare in Boulder County, please send an email to CCR&R@eccbouldercounty.org